Fun facts about Greece and Santorini
- Santorini's official name is actually Thira.
- The island sits in the water-filled caldera of a massive volcano that is thought to have ended Minoan civilization on Crete.
- Before it was called Santorini, the island was known as Kallístē, meaning “the most beautiful one.”
- Due to its volcanic past, Santorini has white, black, AND red beaches.
- Despite a harsh, dry climate, Santorini has a flourishing wine industry.
- There is so little rain on the island of Santorini, that wine in more plentiful than water.
- There are more donkeys than men.
- Until 1960, there was no electricity, only donkeys and fishermen